WHAT IS MICROBLADING?
Microblading, also referred to as permanent makeup, cosmetic tattooing or eyebrow feathering is the process of implanting colour pigment under the surface of the skin by use of tiny, sterile, disposable needles to produce the appearance of hair strokes.
Microblading treatments are perfect for the following: Hair loss and lack of definition, Thin brows caused by years of over tweezing, Chemotherapy or Alopecia, Scars, Lengthening short existing brows, Thickening thin brows, Correcting asymmetry, Active lifestyles, Trouble applying conventional makeup.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MICROBLADING AND STANDARD/TRADITIONAL TATTOOING?
The purpose of microblading is to enhance the natural features of a client. Microblading is soft and subtle – it is meant to look much more natural. Microblading uses pigments rather than ink which is used during traditional tattoos. The pigments are designed and meant to gently fade over time. Fading is not considered a bad thing since it allows the artist and client to make changes to colour and shape over the years as natural colouration and facial changes occur. Pigments during microblading are not as tight and densely packed into the skin as a traditional tattoo. This allows for healed results of very fine, thin, and crisp hair lines. Because the pigment is not as dense it does not last as long but it also does not fade to an unnatural undertone. A colour boost/touch up is usually required between 18-24 months. Touch-ups may be required sooner for oily-skinned clients, those who tan often, or or often expose brow area to certain chemicals (facial peels, chlorine, anti-aging products, etc.). Pigment retention varies depending on skin type, age, aftercare, immune system, medications, certain chemicals, and the type of pigment used.
DOES MICROBLADING HURT?
Brows and Blush Co has a unique numbing method that seems to reduce the pain greatly in comparison to other microblading experience elsewhere – some of my clients have even fallen asleep during their appointment! A lot of my clients reviews mention this difference in pain level in comparison to their friends/family who have had their microblading done elsewhere. A strong topical anesthetic cream is used during your entire procedure. Pain tolerance levels will vary from person to person, but every effort is made to keep the client comfortable during the entire procedure as it makes my job easier. Having microblading done during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during your procedure. If you smoke, the topical anesthetics used during the treatment will not last as long. If you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, be aware that this may affect your sensitivity tolerance to the procedure.
HOW MANY APPOINTMENTS ARE NEEDED?
A minimum of two treatments are needed, at least 6-12 weeks apart. Colours fade 30% to 40% once healed and it is normal for strokes to completely disappear around 2 weeks after initial session. This is why a 2nd appointment is needed to complete the treatment. If your eyebrows do not heal perfectly the first time, do not worry! We can always go darker and add more density at your next appointment. Microblading typically fadse over time and needs to be refreshed every 1-2 years. Frequency of touch-ups depends on a number of factors including: the pigment colour used (lighter colours fade faster), lifestyle (sun exposure), and if any chemical peels come into contact with treated areas. Please note that final results CANNOT be guaranteed as each unique skin type will hold pigments differently and break down at different rates. For some clients more than 2 appointments may be needed and will be charged accordingly.
WHAT IF I HAVE PREVIOUSLY TATTOOED EYEBROWS?
If you have had your eyebrows previously tattooed, you MUST email us a clear photo PRIOR to booking your appointment. We cannot guarantee results and we must approve that your eyebrows are workable. In some cases where the previous work is too dark, dense, discoloured, or large, tattoo removal will be highly recommended before we begin the cover-up. We work very hard to use the pigments to colour correct and cover over the tattoo, however results cannot be guaranteed.
WHO CANNOT HAVE MICROBLADING DONE?
- Anyone using blood thinning medication – with a doctors permission we would require clients using this type of medication to discontinue use for a minimum of 1 week prior to their appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, Ibuprofen, B6, Omega 3, Gingko Biloba, St. John’s Wort, Evening Primrose Oil, Niacin – as they contribute to thinning the blood and may affect anesthetic efficacy. You may resume taking your vitamins 72 hours after.
- If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you MUST wait at least one year before considering this procedure.
- Anyone under the age of 18, at brows & blush co, you must be 18 years or older to receive the microblading service.
- As a precaution, we do not perform cosmetic tattooing on pregnant or nursing women.
- Allergies or sensitivities to metals – most pigments contain metallic salts and the needles contain a small amount of nickel. It is very rare to have a reaction to the procedure, however if there is an allergy we can perform a small patch test.
- Anyone tested positive for HIV or HEPATITIS.
- Diabetes can cause more bleeding and longer healing time, this can be determined on a case by case basis.
- Anyone who has had botox or other injections LESS than 3 weeks before the treatment
WHAT SHOULD I DO PRIOR TO MY APPOINTMENT?
- Do not drink any alcohol the night before and day of your appointment and limit the amount of caffeine you consume the morning of your appointment.
- Do not work out/exercise the day of your appointment.
- If using blood thinning medication – with a doctors permission, we require clients using this type of medication to discontinue use for a minimum of 1 week prior to their appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, Ibuprofen, B6, Omega 3, Gingko Biloba, St. John’s Wort, Evening Primrose Oil, Niacin – as they contribute to thinning the blood and may affect anesthetic efficacy. You may resume taking your vitamins 72 hours after.
- You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
- If you regularly get your eyebrows shaped, waxed, threaded or tinted, please do so at least 3 days before your appointment. If there are any stray hairs that fall outside of our final shape, we can remove them.
- If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 14 days after the procedure.
- It is highly recommended that you avoid SUN and TANNING BED exposure for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a sunburn, you will need to reschedule as your skin exfoliates from a sunburn, it will take the pigment with it.
- PLEASE READ: If you are generally sensitive to skincare or have many allergies, it is recommended that you have a patch test done 72 hours before your appointment to ensure no allergies to the products being used. This will be at the discretion of the client.
THINGS TO CONSIDER ABOUT MICROBLADING:
- Sun exposure: The sun will soften the look of your tattoo, so sunblock should always be used (once healed) to prolong your enhancement.
- The regeneration of skin cells: The longer the regeneration takes, the longer the pigment holds, i.e: the more mature the client the longer the results last.
- The choice of colour: Some colours fade quicker than others, e.g. a blonde colour will fade quicker than a dark brown colour.
- Enhancements to the face, for example, fade more quickly due to constant exposure.
Bleeding during the procedure: Any bleeding during the tattooing procedure will reduce the amount of pigment absorption. Alcohol and certain medications act as blood-thinners and should not be taken prior to and following your appointment.
- Your eyebrows will appear darker and more intense for the first few days. They will gradually lighten during the complete healing process. Redness and swelling is minimal.
- If you have extremely oily skin, microblading will not work as well for you. The constant production of oil will cause the hair strokes to heal with a diffused, softer look. Your end result will look more powdered. Results vary with each client.
- If you have little to no existing hair, your tattoo will appear more 2-dimensional than those clients who have more hair naturally.
- If you are a frequent smoker, your pigment may fade sooner.
- If you are iron deficient or Anemic, your pigment may fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
- Previously tattooed areas and cover-ups will almost always require additional touch-ups for best results and will be charged accordingly.
- Results vary with each client.
- Appointments can take anywhere from 1 – 3 hours depending on the work needed.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER THE PROCEDURE?
- Your eyebrows will appear darker and more intense for the first few days. They will gradually lighten during the complete healing process.
- There is no downtime after the appointment, you may have some slight redness but this should subside within a few hours to a day – you may go to work or continue your schedule as usual.
- Please note that some pigment may rub off after the procedure so take precautions to protect good linens and towels.
- Redness and swelling is minimal. The area may feel like a sunburn and may be itchy while healing but there should be minimal discomfort.
- IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healing skin will completely cover the hair strokes. It may appear as though the tattooed area has completely disappeared. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
- Scabbing may occur – it is important NEVER to pick the scabs as you will pull out the pigment with the scab. Allow the scab or dry skin to come off on its own. Picking can cause scarring and premature loss of pigment.
- The complete healing process takes about 4-6 weeks, at which time the true color of the tattoo is evident. During this process, your tattoo will soften and lighten. Be patient, even if you think too much color has been lost, as your skin is still regenerating and naturally exfoliating. Wait at least 4 weeks to see the true color, as it seems to take on new strength, and it is only after 6-12 weeks that your touch-up/adjustment can be done.
- It is completely normal for some strokes to disappear completely – these will be touched up during your next appointment.
- Your eyebrow tattoo will eventually look softer and have more of a “powdered” look. This happens with all clients as the skin ages. To keep your hair strokes looking good, a refresher appointment is suggested every 1 to 2 years. Results vary with each client.
IS THE STUDIO AND EQUIPMENT SAFE?
Absolutely! We take every precaution in having an immaculate and clean studio space. We only use single use, sterile disposable needles. Also, all the supplies on our tray are single use, this means that each set-up for each client is discarded safely afterwards. Each of our stations are thoroughly disinfected before starting and after each procedure throughout the day. We only use the best quality, USA made pigments that have been used in the permanent cosmetic industry for over 20 years.
WHAT METHODS OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We accept CASH, E-TRANSFERS, DEBIT and CREDIT CARDS.
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
Please note my studio location has changed! My studio address is 16114 – 100A Avenue, #201, Edmonton. It is in the Glenwood Health West Building (161 St & Stony Plain Rd).
Microblading Eyebrows (Feathering/Hairstroke)………$550 + gst – price includes the 1st touch up within 6-12 weeks.
Additional Touch Ups (within 6 months of INITIAL session)……..$150 + gst
Colour Refresh/Annual Touch Up within 6 months – 18 months of the INITIAL session (or last Annual Touch Up)….$250 + gst
Colour Refresh/Annual Touch Up within 18 mo – 24 mo……$300 + gst
BOOKING POLICY: My bookings for both new appointments and touch ups are on a first come first serve basis. I require a $100 non-refundable deposit for new appointments, it will go towards the final price of the brows. If you miss or cancel your appointment with less than 72 hours notice, you will lose your deposit and will have to place another one to rebook. If you need to change the date of your appointment and do so with 72 hours or more notice your deposit can be transferred to that appointment, however if you place a deposit and cancel all together it is non-refundable. Deposits may be placed preferably through my online booking system or alternatively by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org with the password: eyebrows . I will not be taking deposits for previous client touch up appointments, however if there is a cancellation without 72 hours notice I will have to charge $100 for the rescheduled touch up.