- On the day of the procedure: 2-3 hours after your brow appointment, WIPE your brows with a CLEAN DAMP (with water only) cotton pad or paper towel. Make sure to use some pressure to remove as much body fluid as possible otherwise leaving it on the skin will harden and create thick scabs. Do not apply the aftercare cream yet.
- After washing them for the first time start using a clean DRY tissue to blot them firmly EVERY HOUR until bed time to absorb more body fluid. Always wash your hands first!
- Before bedtime WIPE your brows again with a CLEAN DAMP (with water only) cotton pad or paper towel. Again, don’t be afraid to use some pressure to wipe them. Now start to moisturize the brows with the aftercare cream provided (La Roche Cicaplast gel or Bioderma Cicabio Creme). Use a very small amount (rice grain amount for BOTH brows) – you don’t need a thick layer as this will suffocate the brows.
- Upon waking, WIPE your brows with a CLEAN DAMP (with water only) cotton pad or paper towel, pat them dry and apply the aftercare cream (again a small amount)
- Throughout the day, use a clean DRY tissue to blot them firmly a few times in the morning and afternoon until bed time.
- Before bedtime WIPE your brows again with a CLEAN DAMP (with water only) cotton pad or paper towel and moisturize them again.
DAY 3 – 14
(total heal time will vary per person)
- NO more wiping or blotting – but you will still clean them morning and night.
- Every morning and night, clean the area by using your CLEAN fingertips to splash some cool water onto the brows and gently clean the brows. Pat them dry and then moisturize the brows with the aftercare cream.
- Make sure to always pat the brows dry after cleansing them, washing your face or showering.
- If the brows are dry, itchy or tight throughout the day, feel free to add more aftercare cream – but remember VERY thin layers!
- The area will start flaking and peeling – DO NOT pick or scratch at the dry skin/flakiness; let the skin fall off naturally. Picking can cause scarring and premature loss of pigment. Be careful getting dressed, using towels and sleeping.
- IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healed skin may completely cover the hair strokes. It may appear as though the tattooed area has completely disappeared. Within 1-2 weeks from the flaking finishing, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
DURING THE HEALING PERIOD
(DAY 1 – 14 or until they’re finished flaking/peeling):
- NO exercising and/or heavy sweating for for 7 – 10 days after.
- NO swimming pools, saunas, steam rooms, hot yoga, spin classes etc.
- DO NOT take super long hot showers. When showering DO NOT face the shower head – if the brows get wet while showering/washing your face use a clean paper towel to blot them dry, you want to avoid the scabs being wet for an extended period of time.
- DO NOT use Vaseline, Neosporin/petroleum based products or any other products that are not specifically recommended by your technician.
- DO NOT get any makeup, cleansers etc in the brows while flaking/peeling.
- FOR 4 WEEKS – Do not use any products with active ingredients on your forehead – this means any products meant for acne, anti aging, exfoliation etc. (e.g. Alpha Hydroxyls (AHAs), Retin-A, Retinol, Lactic or Glycolic Acids, Vitamin A & C, Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv, etc.) or lightening creams (skin bleaching creams) such as hydroquinone to the treated area while healing. Only use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer on the forehead for 4 weeks and after the 4 weeks and for the life of the brows avoid getting these products directly in the brows
- FOR 4 WEEKS – Avoid direct sun on the brows – protect them by wearing a hat/big sunglasses, after they’re done flaking and peeling you may use sunscreen on them as long as the sunscreen does not contain any anti aging/anti acne active ingredients.
- DO NOT bleach, tint or dye the tattooed area for one month following the procedure.
- DO NOT thread, wax, or use hair removal products on the treated area while healing.
- NOTE: It is normal for pigment to be attached to the scab or flakes as that is what has been sitting on top of the skin, it is also normal for the eyebrows to look patchy as they are healing.
- NOTE: Color will be very dark and hair strokes will appear thicker for 3-4 days until peeling starts – DONT PANIC
- IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healed skin may completely cover the hair strokes. It may appear as though the tattooed area has completely disappeared. Colour will return 2-3 weeks after peeling, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
- If a touch up is included with your service, it must be done within 8 – 12 weeks ( no sooner than 8 weeks to allow the skin full healing)
- Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment. Once completely healed, you may apply sunscreen on the treated area. Wear large sunglasses and a hat for further protection. Rinse and dry the area thoroughly when in contact with chlorine.
- Glycolic acid, microdermabrasion, and chemical face peel and products mentioned above must be kept away from the tattooed area as continued use could lighten the pigment.
- If you are having laser resurfacing or laser hair removal after your tattoo has healed, please inform the laser technician. Continue at your own discretion. Laser procedures may darken, lighten, or discolor the tattooed area.
- Once the treated area is completely healed, any changes or additions that need to be made can be done at your follow-up appointment no sooner than 8- 12 weeks later.
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT LONG TERM CARE?
- A good sunscreen should be applied daily AFTER healing and is required to help keep colour true. As with any tattoo, sun exposure will make the colour soften faster.
- Fading speed depends on your skintype, lifestyle, sun exposure, pigment colour used, broken capillaries, and if any chemical peels were done after your procedure.
- If you are planning a chemical peel, laser treatment or other medical procedure, please inform the technician that you have had a cosmetic tattoo. Careful application must be taken to avoid affecting the tattooed area.